Mushroom of the day #4
This bolete can typically be found near limestone areas and under mature beech and oak trees. It’s not reported anywhere locally, luckily, due to the extremely dangerous nature of this mushroom. The mushroom is found throughout Europe, not appearing in North America. A species of mushroom dubbed Satan’s bolete has appeared in North America but it has been confirmed to have no relation to the one in question, that appears in Europe. The appearance of this mushroom is seldom in Ireland, England, and Scandinavia, which provides an evident reason to assume that the mushroom does not use any avian creatures to spread its spores
This mushroom is out of the ordinary from previous ones I’ve posted. The death cap and fly agaric have had slim stalks with caps exceeding the thickness of the stalk noticeably. The same trait applies to the Yokoh-take, with the very slim bending stalk and greater cap. Satan’s mushroom and all other bolete mushrooms for that matter have characteristics unlike the death cap or fly agaric. The cap of this bolete is still wider than the stalk, but the stalk is very large and thicker than other mushrooms. In essence, the bolete appears to be an oversized button mushroom. When young, the mushroom is a grey or white cover, that starts to look more brown with the aging of the specimen. The stalk always remains blood red throughout the lifecycle of the mushroom. (Speaking of the color of the stalk, nobody knows if the biblical name of the mushroom references the blood-red stalk of the mushroom or the poison factor of its edibility). The cap can reach up to 12 inches (30 centimeters) in diameter. The cap on this mushroom does not have gills like the previously examined specimens. Instead, satan’s mushroom possesses pores on a gelatinous cap. The stipe of the mushroom (area directly under the cap) is 2 to 5 inches (5-15 centimeters) and the stipe is often thicker than it’s vertical length
EFFECTS OF CONSUMPTION:
This mushroom is poisonous. It releases a deadly toxin in the human body once consumed. Quickly after being consumed raw, it induces vomiting, dehydration and general enervation. After thorough cooking, it becomes seemingly harmless, but such as act is not supported. After raw consumption, the victim can experience a bloody stool, violent vomiting, abdominal pain, and nausea for up to 6 hours. The bloody stool and vomiting occur extremely frequently when under the effects of this mushroom’s poison.